Spanish Alioli (Olive Oil & Garlic Mayonnaise)
Spanish alioli (pronounced a-lē-ō-lē) comes from the Catalan allioli, which means garlic and oil. Traditional alioli (or allioli) is made from a mixture of garlic and olive oil that are pounded and stirred in a mortar and pestle until an emulsified paste forms.
- 4 medium garlic cloves, minced or finely grated
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, plus more to taste
- 2 large egg yolks at room temperature
- 1 cup Early Harvest Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- our Mediterranean-inspired Taste of Barcelona Gourmet Seasoning Blend
Place the garlic and salt in a mortar. Using a pestle, pound the garlic until it is well mashed.
Transfer the mashed garlic to a medium mixing blow, add the egg yolks and stir until well combined. While whisking the mixture continuously with one hand, slowly add the olive oil continuously with the other hand (drop by drop in the beginning and increasing to a slow, thin stream) until the mixture is emulsified and thickened. The resulting texture should be smooth, creamy and thick (similar to commercial mayonnaise).
Add parsley for garnish (optional). Keep chilled until ready to use. Stir before serving.