Seared Tuna Salad Niçoise
1 large egg
4-8 new potatoes, halved or quartered depending on the size
a handful of sliced green beans
1 medium tuna steak
large handful of green lettuce, washed and torn.
6 pitted black olives, halved
4-5 cherry tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup red onion, finely sliced
For the dressing:
1/2 tsp Champagne Mimosa Vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1/2 tsp Taste of Tuscany Seasoning Blend (optional)
- Add the egg(s) to a small pan of cold water. Bring to the boil and start to time once the water reaches boiling point. Cook for 5 minutes if you like the yolks very lightly set (as I do, see pictures), or 7 minutes if you prefer firm.
- Once the egg(s) is cooked remove from the pan with a slotted spoon and place in a bowl of cold water. Once it's cooled enough then peel and slice into quarters.
- Add the potatoes to the boiling water in the pan. Set a timer for 7 minutes.
- Make the dressing. Combine the olive oil, mustard, Champagne Mimosa vinegar and Taste of Tuscany seasoning, then whisk together well.
- Once the potatoes have been cooking for 7 minutes add the green beans to the pan with the potatoes and continue to boil for a further 5 minutes.
- Heat a good drizzle of olive oil in a griddle or frying pan. Once it is smoking hot add the tuna and cook for 2-3 minutes on each side depending on how rare you like the tuna cooked.
- Once the potatoes and green beans are cooked, drain and transfer to a bowl with the lettuce, olives, cherry tomatoes and red onion. Pour over the dressing and toss everything together.
- Add the salad to a plate, slice the tuna and place on top and dot the egg quarters around the salad. Serve!