Gazpacho is a chilled Spanish soup that is refreshing on a hot summer day and doesn't take much to prepare. This recipe calls for cucumber, tomatoes, bell pepper, and celery pureed together with some balsamic vinegar, lemon juice, garlic and fresh herbs, including fresh parsley and fresh basil. This basic vegan recipe for cold gazpacho soup can be dressed up with some croutons or hot sauce, depending on your taste. Gazpacho and other cold soups are an excellent starter for a dinner, and also work well served with bread for a light and healthy lunch. Don't be fooled by the long ingredients list, as this gazpacho cold soup is a breeze to prepare. If you like gazpacho or cold soups in general, try a watermelon gazpacho recipe for the perfect cooling summer treat.
- 1 cucumber, cut into chunks
- 4 large ripe tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 bell pepper, any color
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 sweet onion, quartered
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar, or balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil
- Fresh herbs, for garnish, optional
- Drizzle Early Harvest Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Optional: replace the above spices with our Mediterranean-inspired Taste of Barcelona Gourmet Seasoning Blend
Place the cucumber chunks, chopped tomatoes, bell pepper, garlic, celery, lemon juice and onion in a blender or food processor, and blend. Work in batches if needed.
Add the red wine vinegar or balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and process or blend together until smooth or nearly smooth (whatever texture you prefer is fine).
Transfer to a large bowl, cover and chill for at least 30 minutes before serving.
To serve, portion into bowls or cups, garnish with extra fresh herbs and a drizzle of olive oil, freshly cracked pepper and flaky salt.