Lemon Olive Oil Cake
A light and tender lemon cake made with olive oil, this simple cake is full of complex flavors. Olive oil doesn’t make the cake healthy, but it does lend a tenderness to the cake that is unparalleled by other fats. Since olive oil is liquid at room temperature, it makes cakes incredibly moist.
It’s important to use good quality extra virgin olive oil for this recipe. Since olive oil is a prominent ingredient, you’ll want to use an oil that you would dip bread in or use in dressings.Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Early Harvest Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup butter (unsalted, melted and cooled)
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- Powdered sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 350ºF/180ºC. Grease well a 9-inch round pan (3-inch deep).
2. In a large bowl Whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl toss together sugar and lemon zest until combined. Add eggs and whisk well until combined. Whisk in olive oil and butter. Add lemon juice and buttermilk and whisk until combined. Add mixture to the flour mixture, and fold with a rubber spatula until combined and smooth. Once all is added, be careful not to overmix the batter.
4. Scrape batter into prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until golden and a skewer inserted into the center of the cake comes out clean. Allow cake to cool completely on a wire rack. Dust cake lightly with powdered sugar before serving.
5. Store cake at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 2 days or refrigerate for up to 5 days. Serve at room temperature